Bingham Environmental Policy
As a small business we recognise and take seriously our responsibility to the environment and the local community. We strive to have a positive impact on both, and ensure all aspects of our operations adhere to this principle. We carefully consider suppliers who share our values, in order that we always offer our guests the best and most environmentally friendly products.
A snap shot of our green credentials:
- We actively promote greener forms of travel to the Bingham, Richmond is fantastically located for public transport, from Central London/Waterloo, hop on a tube or train, and you can be at the Bingham. The 65 bus stops right outside or arrive by boat. Once staying at the Bingham, borrow one of our Pashley bikes to explore the surrounding area.
- We only change towels/linens upon request, to conserve laundry
- Our food waste is recycled and cooking Oil is taken away by Agra Oil and converted into bio fuel.
- High quality recycled paper products are used in the bathrooms.
- Toiletries are from ‘L’Occitane en Provence’ who provide natural ethically sourced ingredients. L’Occitaine has a corporate social responsibility policy aligned with our values.
- In room candles, diffusers, and essential oil bath oils are supplied by Abahna, a British family-run business, passionate about sourcing natural ingredients.
- All bedroom furniture was hand made in the UK. Beds by Hypnos, and other bedroom furniture by Nigel Carew Jones
- Rooms are well insulated, with ventilation, to minimize need for air conditioning, and only acclimatized when occupied
- We use an high efficiency condensing boiler to reduce our carbon emissions
- Energy saving light bulbs are gradually being introduced throughout the property
- Our award winning restaurant produces high-end dishes using fresh, seasonable ingredients sourced from local, independent, ethical suppliers. Organic, and independent farmers/producers are used where possible. Fish is from sustainable sources.
- Food waste is limited from the kitchen team, by using all parts of the food source/ingredient where possible and we don’t purchase processed foods with hydrogenated fats and unhealthy ingredients. - We source the majority of ingredients and kitchen supplies from vetted suppliers with strong environmental and sustainable sourcing policies. Including Macken Brothers, Chiswick, Sandy’s Fishmongers in Twickenham, the Flying Fish Seafood, the Rare Breed Meat Company.
- Our kitchen team and John Tebbs, Gardener, grow produce in our herb and vegetable garden; fennel, borage, beetroot, broad beans, peas, rocket, horseradish, selection of herbs, edible flowers, sorrell, asparagus, ruby chard, and swiss chard and we also have a pear tree. - We make our own breads including sour dough and rye, biscuits for conferences, ice creams and sorbets, all cakes and pastries for desserts and afternoon teas, In effect, the Bingham is a local supplier of sorts.
- We encourage that diners leave with ‘doggy bags’.
- Our AA Notable Wine List is made up from local and small independent wine growers, where the importance of sustainable and organic viticulture is paramount.
- Organic fair-trade, teas, coffee, and hot chocolate are provided - Complimentary filtered Bingham water is available, served in reusable Bingham branded glass bottles. For every water filtration systems sold, the manufacturer, Sela V, pays for an Elephant Pump to bring clean water to villages in Africa.
Among our employees we have promoted a ‘Green Team’ to ensure that the property runs with as little negative impact to the environment as possible. They enthusiastically keep us all in check, and constantly strive for ways that we can have a more positive environmental impact; looking at ways to reduce our energy consumption, reducing our waste, sourcing greener products and so on. Our environmental ethos has a bearing on all that we do. We would welcome any suggestions, or contacts that can aid us in this quest, please email email@example.com.