Originally built as two Georgian houses, the Bingham has undergone several incarnations.
The property, originally built as two houses in 1740, was described in a rental survey for George III, carried out in 1773 as a “messeuge (a dwelling), court and garden” and a “messuage with stables and coach house”.
Lady Ann Bingham, whose sister Lady Lavinia married the first Earl of Spencer, rented the property in 1821, added the room which is currently the Bingham Bar, which links the properties. Later inhabitants included poets, Katherine Bradley and Edith Cooper who wrote under the pseudonym Michael Field and who lived in the property from 1899-1914. They entertained many literary visitors including W.B Yeats, at the property. Katherine and Edith were aunt and neice who predominantly wrote love poetry, and interestingly they were later discovered to be lovers. The Bingham’s 15 bedrooms are named after their poetry and works.
During the 20th Century the property fell into dis-repair and was bought by the current owners in 1984 undergoing extensive refurbishment from 2006-8.