Built as two Georgian houses in 1740 and described in a survey by George III as a “messuage (a dwelling), court and garden” and a “messuage with stables and coach house”.
Lady Ann Bingham, whose sister married the first Earl of Spencer, rented the property in 1821 and added the room which we currently use as the Lounge Bar which links the two townhouses. From 1899-1914, tenants Katherine Bradley and Edith Cooper wrote love poetry under the pseudonym Michael Field. Katherine and Edith were aunt and niece and were discovered to be lovers. They entertained many literary visitors at the Bingham including W.B Yeats.
All the Bingham’s fifteen bedrooms are named after their collection of poetry.